Search site
Recent lettings

Extra Care Housing

Do you value your independence but find you need some extra care and support with everyday living? Do you have a loved one who is struggling to manage in their own home?

Our Extra Care Housing is designed for people who need personal care and affordable housing.

The homes are offered at social housing rents to people with care needs who are eligible for council housing. Hampshire County Council commissions a care provider to be onsite 24/7 to deliver individually designed care packages to residents.

About Extra Care Housing

We have three Extra Care Housing schemes in the New Forest district.

·         Winfrid House in Totton

·         Barfields Court in Lymington

·         Gore Grange in New Milton

Each scheme has its own manager, plus a team of trained care staff available day and night to deliver care and respond in an emergency.

The schemes are made up of individual flats, with their own front door, bedroom, kitchen, living room and bathroom. All rooms are equipped with an emergency pull cord. A door entry system ensures the buildings are only accessed by residents and their visitors. Each scheme has attractive shared gardens and a comfortable lounge. There are opportunities to make new friends through activities such as film club, bingo and coffee mornings.

Learn more about Extra Care Housing from residents in this short video: 


Would Extra Care Housing be right for me?

Extra Care Housing offers more support than traditional sheltered housing. A move to Extra Care Housing may prevent a move into a care home or could reduce the amount of time you spend in one in the future. Couples where just one person has care needs can continue to live together.

If you or your partner are receiving care and you are on our Homesearch housing register, then you are eligible to apply for Extra Care Housing in the New Forest.

How do I apply?

Our Extra Care Housing is designed for people who need personal care and affordable housing. To apply for Extra Care Housing you need:

  • To have an assessed care need. If you have not already had an assessment of your care needs then you will need to contact Hampshire County Council's Adults' Health and Care department on 0300 555 1386 to request one.
  • To apply to our Homesearch housing register. You can apply online at or contact us on 023 8028 5234, or

Priority is given to people with a local connection and with limited financial resources who are unable to seek a property in the private sector.

Updated: 20 Jan 2020
Powered by GOSS iCM