Search site

Private rented agencies

Online ContactEmail:  Housing Options          Tel: 023 8028 5234

What are Accommodation Agencies?

These are businesses that help landlords to find tenants for their properties for a fee. They also help people who are looking for a home to find somewhere to live. As well as finding the tenants, they also manage properties for landlords.

What can an accommodation agency charge me for?

An accommodation agency can charge you a fee for finding somewhere to live, as long as this is not just for registering your name. Before registering with an agency, you should check what fees are charged, so you are not saddled with unnecessary expenses. The items you may have to pay for are:

  • Providing a service that you have asked for i.e. negotiating a rent reduction for you.
  • Administration fee and a copy of the tenancy agreement for the set up of your tenancy.

Will I need to pay a deposit?

Most landlords require a deposit to cover the cost of repairing any damage that you may cause to the property. A deposit is usually the same as a month's rent. However, the landlord can charge up to two months rent as a deposit. This money should be returned to you when you leave if there is no damage to the property and no outstanding rent or charges.

Should I seek advice before signing a Tenancy Agreement?

A tenancy agreement is a legally binding contract. It is important that you know what you are signing. If you cannot seek advice, it is important that you read the contract thoroughly or you could commit yourself to something you do not want to do or cannot afford.

If you are going to claim Housing Benefit to help with your rent, please contact the Housing Benefit department on 01590 646122 for more details or see Local Housing Allowance for details on how much help you might be entitled to.

How long can I stay in my new home?

This will depend on what sort of tenancy you have. Most tenancies created now by landlords who do not live in the same property as their tenants will be assured shorthold tenancies. For more information about these tenancies, the Housing Options team can provide useful leaflets. Our contact details are shown above.


List of Agencies

Knightwood Fryern
125 Winchester Road
Chandlers Ford
(023) 8027 6500
(Do not accept Housing Benefit)
J R Hill
12 Stanford Road
(01590) 679200

Forest Properties
Ringwood Road
(023) 8066 0177
Alandale Residential Lettings
343 Shirley Road
(023) 8070 1234
Sue Green Property Lettings
Cowley Farm
(01590) 677128
(Reluctant to accept Housing Benefit)
Mitchells Management
4 Station Road
New Milton
(01425) 619900
(Will only accept Housing Benefit with a guarantor)
Godfrey Charles
23 New Street
(01590) 671744
(Will accept Housing Benefit)
Lets Accommodate
8 Market Place
(01425) 478719
(Will consider Housing Benefit)
Ridgeway Rents
4 Quay Hill
(01590 644882)

Top Lettings
7 Eton Gardens
Branksome Wood Road
(01202) 752066
F&S Property Management
9 Carlton Crescent
(023) 8022 6686
Lindesay's Property Management
3 College Place
(023) 8071 0400
Countrywide Residential Lettings
26 London Road
(023) 8033 0479
58 London Road
(023) 8023 2909
Bradford & Bingley (Morris Dibben)
53 London Road
(023) 8033 5338

Paul Jeffreys
8 The Marsh
(023) 8084 8555
(Will not accept Housing Benefit)
9 Water Lane
(023) 8086 8808
(Will not accept Housing Benefit)
The Property Management & Letting Company
8 Brookley Road
(01590) 622448
(Will accept Housing Benefit)
Updated: 27 Apr 2017
Powered by GOSS iCM