Search site


Drinking Water

Environmental Health (Environmental Protection), Appletree Court, Lyndhurst, Hampshire, SO43 7PA. Tel - 023 8028 5411 -option 2 or via email at


What areas of water quality does the Environmental Protection Section deal with?

  • Private Water Supplies: For those who extract their private water supply from boreholes.
  • Mains Water: Includes food and drinks manufacturers.

Private Water Supplies

We have a number of domestic and commercial private water supplies where we are the responsible authority for monitoring their quality both microbiologically (bacteria) and chemically (e.g. pesticides).

The legislation we use is made under the Water Industry Act 1991 and is called the Private Water Supplies Regulations 2016 and this tells us what the standards of the water should be and how often we have to test the water depending upon its use.

Mains Water Supply:

We also examine the quality of the mains water in our food manufacturers to include breweries and other food industries. We may occasionally become involved in the testing of domestic mains water in addition to the statutory water undertaker.

In addition, the Drinking Water Inspectorate who are the national body for ensuring the quality of water, provide an annual publication titled 'How Good is Your Drinking Water'

What do I do, if I'm concerned about the quality of my drinking water?

If you pay your water rates to a statutory provider for example Southern Water or Bournemouth and West Hants Water, then contact them on the following: -

Wessex Water
Call them on 0345 600 4 600 or email them at or on-line at
To report a leak call them on 0800 692 0 692 (24 hours) or email them at

Southern Water
To report a leak call on 0800 820999 (freephone) or 0330 3030146 (local call charge) or on-line at
For emergencies call 0330 3030368

Bournemouth Water
You can report a leak on-line or call them on their Freephone Leakline - 08005 878 979.

For general enquiries call 01202 590059 or email at


If you are on a private supply the supplier has a duty to ensure that the water is fit to drink, and we have a duty to enforce this. All the private water supplies we know about in the District are monitored and checked regularly.

The Drinking Water Inspectorate (DWI) is responsible for public water inspection.

For general water quality enquiries or where your water companies does not resolve a problem with your drinking water quality
please contact the DWI using the details below. The office is staffed Monday to Friday from 09.00 - 17.00, with the exception of bank holidays.

Drinking Water Inspectorate, Area 7e, 9 Millbank, c/o Nobel House, 17 Smith Square, London, SW1P 3JR

Telephone: 0300 068 6400 E-mail:

Who is responsible for Blue/Green algae?

This is a problem for the landowner or whoever is responsible for the area that the pond or lake is in. Often if the area of water is used for recreation, then the local town/parish council may have an interest.

The Environment Agency will have further information. They can be contacted on 0800 80 70 60

Who monitors the quality of water in public swimming pools?

The swimming pool operator is responsible for ensuring that their pool is safe to swim in. We will always offer advice on pool water quality.

For further information please contact Environmental Health (Commercial) on 023 8028 5411.

I have seen a stream/river that looks polluted. How can I report it?

Please contact the Environment Agency on the 24 hour Incident Hotline or Tel: 0800 80 70 60

I have seen a ditch that looks polluted. How can I report it?

Please contact us on the number at the top of the page.

Other useful links

Water Pollution


Environment Agency

Southern Water

Wessex Water

Bournemouth and West Hampshire Water PLC

Updated: 11 Jul 2017
Powered by GOSS iCM