Council Budgets and Spending
The Council's Efficiency Plan [158kb] details the financial challenges that it faces over the next few years as a result of decreasing government grants and increasing costs. The plan provides information on the service reviews and strategies that have been put in place in order to achieve a balanced budget.
Efficiency Plan - Supporting Documents:
The Council budgets and spending are monitored and controlled by the Accountancy Service.
The terms of reference for the Accountancy Service are determined by the Finance and Audit Service Manager, Alan Bethune, as the designated statutory responsible financial officer. The Service ensures that Codes of Practice and legislation are incorporated within the Council's financial framework.
The Accountancy Service is primarily responsible for:
- Provision of key strategic advice to Council, Cabinet, Committees, Review Panels and Officers;
- The production of statutory budgets;
- Ongoing monitoring and reporting of income and expenditure;
- Preparation and publication of the Council's statutory Annual Financial Report;
- Evaluating the implications of legislation on the Council's strategic financial framework for both revenue and capital expenditure;
- Management of the Council's investments and borrowing;
- Preparation of grant claims, financial and statistical returns, VAT returns, income allocation and the reconciliation of bank accounts.