Search site

Welfare Benefits

Web contact form:  Contact Housing NeedsEmail:  Housing Needs          Tel:  023 8028 5234

There are many different benefits available depending on your needs and circumstances. Below are a list of the common types of benefit claimed and the criteria needed to claim those benefits. For a comprehensive list and advice on what benefits may be entitled to claim, visit the Citizens Advice Bureau or the Department of Work and Pension (DWP) in Totton or Southampton

Contact Details

Telephone Job Centre Plus:  0845 6043719

High Street
Mon - Thurs 8.30am - 3.35pm

Bernard Street
Friday 8.30am - 3.30pm

Types of Benefit

Income Support (IS)

Income Support provides financial help for people aged between 16 and 60 who are on a low income and is applicable to those who are sick or disabled, childcarers and other carers and those who are not in full time paid work (have to working less than 16 hours a week or if you have a partner they have to work less than 24 hours a week). Income Support 'tops up' any existing income to match government guidelines.

Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)

Jobseeker's Allowance is for people who are available for and actively looking for (seeking) work.  Must actively seek work and sign the jobseekers agreement. Weekly rates are £56.25 if under 25, £71 if single and aged over 25, and £111.45 for couples both aged over 18.

Extended Payments of Housing Benefit/Council Tax Benefit

Above benefits can be paid for up to four weeks after claimants have started work following six months or more of unemployment or period on income support.

Pension Credits (PC)

If you are aged 60 and over you can claim Pension Credit.  The amount depends on your income and savings but it guarantees everyone an income of at least:

  • £142.70 a week if you are single
  • £217.90 a week if you have a partner

For an application form please contact the Pension Service on freephone 0800 99 1234

Incapacity Benefit (IB) and Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

If you cannot work because of ill health or a disability, you may be able to claim Incapacity Benefit or ESA.

Carer's Allowance (CA)

You may be able to get Carer's Allowance if you are caring for someone who is sick or disabled and is getting

  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • War Pensions Constant Attendance Allowance, or
  • Constant Attendance Allowance paid with Industrial Disablement Allowance.

For more information on Carer's Allowance contact the Benefit Enquiry Line on 0800 88 22 00.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

If you have a severe difficulty walking, need help getting around or need looking after, you may be able to claim Disability Living Allowance.  This is a set rate of benefit and is not usually affected by savings or by other money you have coming in.

Attendance Allowance (AA)

To qualify for Attendance Allowance, you must:

  • be aged 65 or over;
  • have a physical or mental disability, and
  • have needed help with personal care because of your disability for at least 6 months.

You may get Attendance Allowance even if you are not currently getting the help you need.  'Help with personal care' means that you need help with things like:

  • washing (and getting in or out of the bath or shower);
  • dressing;
  • eating;
  • getting to and using the toilet (or a pad, commode, bedpan or bottle); or
  • communicating your needs.

Child Tax Credit (CTC)

You can claim Child Tax Credit if you are responsible for at least one child or young person.  You do not have to working to claim.

Working Tax Credit (WTC)

If you are responsible for a child or young person you can claim Working Tax Credit if you are aged 16 and over and work at least 16 hours a week if you are single or 24 hours in total a week if part of a couple.  If you do not have any children you can claim Working Tax Credit if:

  • you are aged 25 and over and work at least 30 hours a week
  • you are aged 16 and over and work at least 16 hours a week and you have a disability

The amount of Working Tax Credit you get is based on your circumstances, for example how many hours you work and your income (or joint income if you are a couple).

Health Benefits. Applicable to those on IS and JSA, entitled to help for;
Dental / Optical treatment
Wigs / fabric support
Fares to hospital for NHS treatment

Applicable for those on IS who have children under five or have disabled children between 5-16;
milk and vitamins & School meals.

Crisis Loan

Interest free short-term loan available to anyone following an emergency. Can only be claimed to prevent serious risk or damage to health or safety of self or member of family.

Budgeting loan

Can be claimed if applicant on IS/JSA for more than 26 weeks. Loan repaid from benefits.

Powered by GOSS iCM